- Math 323-06: Calculus III
Course home page.
- Math 581: Topics in Graph Theory: Signed, Gain, and Biased Graphs
Course home page.
The course will include an introduction to graph theory and hyperplane arrangements. (It is helpful but not essential to have seen graph theory.)
- Math 597: Independent Study: Polytopes (with Laura Anderson)
Reading Ziegler, Lectures on Polytopes.
- Office: WH 216
- Office hours:
- Fall 2015
||MWF||12:00 - 1:00
||T||11:40 - 1:05
- Ph. D. Students:
Thesis: Classification of Factored Gain-Graphic Hyperplane Arrangements
Thesis: Gain Graphs, Group-Oriented Hypergraphs, and Matrices
Thesis: Oriented Hypergraphs
Thesis: Maximum Frustration of Bipartite Signed Graphs
Thesis: Four Studies in the Geometry of Biased Graphs
Thesis: Two Generalizations of Biased Graph Theory: Circuit Signatures and Modular Triples of Matroids, and Biased Expansions of Biased Graphs
Thesis: A Characterization of the Mixed Branching Greedoid
Thesis: Orientations of Biased Graphs and Their Matroids
Thesis: Separability and Representability of Bias Matroids of Signed Graphs
Quotations of the Month
Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land
The Liberty Bell
unto all the Inhabitants Thereof
(from Leviticus 25:10)
They that can give up
Benjamin Franklin, 1755
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
'Tis better to have loved and flossed
Than never to have flossed at all.
- -- after S.J. Bruskin, July 2014
Past quotations of the month.
Other Places, On and Off Site
- Fraktur (German) letters, printed and handwritten forms, from Sheila MacIntyre and Edith Witte, German-English Mathematical Vocabulary, Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh and London, 1956; second ed. 1966. Higher resolution (2 MB).
- Gian-Carlo Rota (Our Hero!)
- eXtreme Combinatorics: Design theory schedules the XFL season. (February 3, 2001.)
- A Hat Problem: It sounds like a parlor game -- but it's mathematical coding theory. (April 10, 2001.)
- Our professors have their own number.
- The End of a Reign in Graph Theory: W.T. Tutte Dies, May 2, 2002.
- Archimedes did combinatorics 2200 years ago! Read all about it!
- Sphere packing: Solved at last? or, What is a proof, really?
- A statistical analysis of The New Yorker's fiction. (Not combinatorics, but it's an unusual senior thesis!)
- Obituary of Frank Harary, who liked to be called "Mr. Graph Theory".
- A book on probability that sounds like fascinating fun, full of anecdotes and math: CHANCES ARE... Adventures in Probability, by Michael Kaplan and Ellen Kaplan (New York Times review).
- Was Pythagoras really a mathematician at all? Read the controversy in the London Review of Books: "Other Lives", by M.F. Burnyeat.
- The New York Times discovers signed graphs! Actually, it's the math column by Steven Strogatz (Cornell) called "The Enemy of My Enemy".
African Mathematics, Multicultural Math, and Math Education
Best Viewed With Any Browser
Go to the
List of Faculty page.
Go to the Math Sciences Department home page.